Friday, August 14

Encouragement

This is sort of a random thought, but I keep forgetting to write it down. We attend mass on Sunday as a family, and going with Beth and Luke is usually challenging for us. It's rare that the actually hear a homily, let alone have time to understand and think about it. Ryan and I try to prepare before mass by going over the readings and reflecting on a short meditation. Anyways, mass is a constant battle to keep Beth quiet and Luke still, but we still feel that it's doable and important that we bring our children to mass with us- and actually sit in the church, usually in one of the first few rows. Despite what you think, Beth actually behaves better in the front (usually) since she's able to see. She follows along in a kid's book and I point out the important parts and tell her what's going on. She knows when the bells are going to ring, and follows along by raising her hands like the priest does (really funny!) and singing loud at the top of her voice!

Last week we attended mass at a different church, and Beth asked, "Where's Father Tom?" It was so funny, she cracked me up!

Every now and then, Ryan and I will both feel discouraged after mass, musing with each other that "This is our worst one yet!" Yet probably half that time we feel like our kids were the most disruptive, noisiest, and distracting kids in the church, it never fails that I have someone come up to me after mass and compliment me on my family. I am so moved and so touched, usually I tear up at the nice words people have to say. I've been told my kids are so quiet, so well-behaved, and that it's beautiful that I'm teaching them the faith at such a young age. I can't even repeat half the compliments because I was so in awe that someone would think these things about us that a lot of it is just blurred together. I am so thankful for these people, they are so encouraging and their compliments usually come at just the right time! It helps me endure the rough days, and even though we know we're doing what is best for our family, it's nice to hear a compliment every now and then. :-)

2 comments:

The Zajicek's said...

Oh that is so nice that strangers have noticed how incredibly great parents you guys are and what precious children you have! I absolutely agree that it is so important for kids to go in the church - to learn and experience Mass from such a young age! Good job! :)

Emily said...

What a great post! I wonder if now that Luke knows he can move around if he will act like Wesley and not sit still anymore!! I hope he stays content in your lap.
(Btw my mom told me how wonderful and cute your family was :o) )

Will you let me know what book you have for Beth?

 
site design by designer blogs