Monday, August 3

My garden has failed

I am very close to throwing in the towel for my summer garden this year. All of my squash plants and my pumpkin died, and I'm certain it was due to a certain condition called stem split. What happened was it didn't rain for about 6 weeks, then we got probably 3 feet of rain in one night (okay, not literally, but a LOT) and the stems couldn't support that much water so they burst open. And then the plants slowly croaked, from the base of the stem all the way to the very last leaf. How sad, but honestly, totally out of my control! Right? (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

I have a cucumber. It's pretty sad looking but it's a real, singular cucumber. Actually I have several more growing right now, we'll see if they make it past 2 inches long though (that's usually about where I lose them).

it was actually pretty good- i made a really yummy cucumber and cream cheese sandwich!

My tomatoes are still doing fine, though they are out of control since we didn't bother to cage them this year. I don't think they'll do fine for too much longer since the plant it leaning over so much...I did figure out a cost-effective way to cage them next year, so hopefully they'll do better.

My herbs are no fun. They're there, but not really growing.

Since I'm giving up on this garden, I'm looking ahead to a fall garden. I didn't bother last year since I was 7 months pregnant! Based on preliminary research, I am going to do carrots and broccoli, maybe some sort of leafy green like kale. Beth LOVES raw carrots, so I'm hoping they do well- how cool would that be???

1 comment:

Julie said...

our tomato cages were super cheap and just involved zeke bending and clipping some wires, I can tell you how he did it next year if you want!

 
site design by designer blogs