Tuesday, October 7

Update

I visited the midwife this morning- he's head down still but now he's posterior (he's facing my belly instead of back). While not an automatic c-section like a breech baby is, this has the potential to be a very painful labor if he doesn't turn to face my back. He hasn't "dropped" at all still. I have to spend a lot of time on my hands and knees to encourage him to flip around and face my back. I'm hoping to go another full week so I can continue on my high-iron supplements, get a few more things done, and give him time to turn around!

6 comments:

Mandi said...

Kaylee was posterior for the first 2.5 hours of my pushing journey. It was very painful, but survivable! You can still totally do it - your doula will be able to coach you through it.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying, baby.

Anonymous said...

Turn, baby, turn! You can do it little Luke!

The Zajicek's said...

Prayers that baby Luke will turn right around in time!

Anonymous said...

I know this sounds like total bunk, but a friend of mine was so desperate for her baby boy to turn (she was scared of the possible "extra" pain from a posterior-baby labor) so her little brother (age nine) as most kids do, got right to the heart of the matter...and he said "you should play some good music right at the place where you want him to turn around to, and maybe he will want to hear it and turn around!"

It sounds like just a cute thing a kid would say, but she actually did some research and found out that in utero, babies tend to "move toward" certain sounds- especially mellow string music. She spent $36 on a pair of nice padded headphones, stuck them on her mp3 player, and put them on her belly...and it was so wild, we were sitting there talking and after about 8-12 minutes, you could *see* the baby move! About two hours after he turned anterior, he dropped...and three days after THAT, he was here! Great birth center birth, no interferences, and the baby was born right into her husband's hands with the midwife looking on.

I'm not telling you this so you can use it as a "how to"...just so you can keep in mind that it DOES happen, babies turn late all the time! When I worked as a breastfeeding educator, it seemed like every other week in the hospital a woman would check in for a scheduled c-section that the doctor told her she "had" to have because the baby was posterior and had "no room" to turn at this late date, only to find that the baby had turned between the doctor setting the c-section and the woman going home and packing/coming to the hospital!

They try and try to medically "manage" birth and pregnancy, but the bottom line is that it will always retain most of the mystery and awe that God meant for it to have. He created your body with the main purpose in mind of growing, birthing, and nurturing Luke and I am totally confident your body will not let you down.

If by chance an unwelcome intervention IS needed...well, I know it'll be a bummer but the most important thing is that he gets here and gets here safely! I am hoping and praying for an easy and peaceful, intervention free birth because I know that is what you want and what is ultimately most desirable...but if things start getting hairy, just keep your eyes on the prize and remember that he's still going to be as wonderful no matter how he gets here, and God is going to be guiding him and you each step of the way.

(I know you know this but I will say it anyway because I know your mind can go into overload when so much is happening at once- if someone- be it the midwife or someone else- deems it proper that interventions DO occur, as long as Luke's and your own heart rate and your own BP are good, make them tell you exactly why you "need" whatever is it they're trying to tell you that you have to have. Unfortunately in this country so many women are pushed into completely unnecessary surgical births simply because a doctor or nurse manager that's never even SEEN that particular woman decides it would be 'convenient' for everyone. Make sure to assert your rights every step of the way- and like I said, I know you know that-- I just want you to keep it at the forefront of your mind)

Love,
Liz
liz_adkiss@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I believe most doctors probably have at heart the best of intentions for their patients! Being an informed patient is good, and making sure that they explain everything every step of the way is good too, but trust in their experience as well. They've seen a lot of women through, and your health care provider wants the birth to go well too! Everything will be fine.
I hope I get to see you and Luke together soon.

-Michael

 
site design by designer blogs