Tuesday, November 16

A week of gluten-free food

In case you're wondering what our week in food looks like, here it is:

Monday: Rotisserie chicken from Sams (yes it's GF!), salad with peppers, tomatoes and red onions
Tuesday: Taco Tuesdays! Hard tacos, beans, homemade Spanish rice
Wednesday: Meatball soup, making a double batch to split with a friend!
Thursday: Grandma N.'s crockpot pinto beans, cornbread, and probably another veggie
Friday: Stuffed chicken rolls from our new GF cookbook from our friends K&M <3 and sweet potato fries
Saturday: homemade pizza!
Sunday: Red beans and rice

Adjusting to a gluten-free lifestyle hasn't been as hard as I initially thought. I do have to prepare a little more, but once I cleaned out my pantry I know that I can use everything I have in my kitchen to prepare a gluten-free meal. I'm still hammering out the details (I can't find gluten-free chicken or beef bouillon anywhere locally) but for the most part things are falling into place. Our first attempt at homemade pizza last Friday was a big fat failure, hardly edible but everyone humored me and ate it anyways! The hardest thing for me so far has been needing quick meals on nights when I reaalllly don't feel like cooking. Hopefully I'll soon make an edible pizza crust and can freeze some for a quick freezer pizza!

my first GF pizza crust. It didn't brown or bubble up, it was supposed to be like a thin-crust pizza.

I keep meaning to see if Alton Brown has a show where he's focused on gluten-free cooking. He does such a wonderful job of explaining the mechanics behind why food does what it does, how different ingredients react, and when it's okay to substitute items and when it's not. I'm learning about the chemistry of baking with gluten-free flours, and if you don't know I absolutely hate chemistry. It's not as easy as taking your favorite cookie recipe and replacing regular flour with a type of gluten-free flour, because different flours have different protien contents, absorb water at different rates, and need an addition like xanthan gum to keep the cookie together. It's real science! Oh no!

5 comments:

Neen said...

It is a great reason to give my kiddos when they ask why they have to learn science. Sounds like you are embrassing all the changes. Did you hear about the New glueten free hosts that have been aproved by Vatican for communion? My understnading is that they contain only a trace of Glueten, enough to be valid for the Eucharist but it is made in a way that it is not at all upsetting to the those needing to avoid glueten. They are produced by a group of nuns who have worked on the recipe for years out of love for those like your daughter that must avoid glueten.

moma schmerb said...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-chewy-gluten-free-recipe/index.html

http://www.glutenfreefitness.com/want-to-see-a-gluten-free-showchef-on-the-food-network/

http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2006/05/being-filmed-for-food-network.html

Mr. Gattis said...

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

not gluten free, but, some good advice on making a good pizza!

The Zajicek's said...

What a nice update - so great to see how you guys are adjusting to the new diet! Your week of foods sound good! Also, that's so fun you had crockpot pinto beans because Michael made that for us on Monday - yummy!

Concerned Commune Member said...

We now have five different gluten-free pizzaria options... look into it for your area!

That's my favorite last-minute meal, heh.

 
site design by designer blogs