So I've had sort of a rough mommy week. The kids seem to acting mostly normal, although Jack's sleeping habits seem to be undergoing a rough transition. He's crying a LOT as we're putting him to sleep, which is very unusual for him since he's really not a cryer. My happy, smiley, silly baby (who usually gives baby fever to the women who hold him!) is now a grumpy guy. :-( It really makes an impact on who I am as a mom. I've been really fortunate not to experience any "baby blues" this time, probably because Jack has been such a mellow and easy baby. Beth and Luke were very high-needs compared to this dude, and I can definitely see how that's impacted me as a mother. I am very thankful that I got my easy baby as my third, I can't even imagine life with a high-needs baby right now, in addition to two very active older siblings!
Every day I go back and forth about our family size, and I am so thankful that we've chosen to our family size to God because it's one less thing for me to worry about! There are days I'm certain that three children is all I'd ever be able to handle, but then I think, only three? Only three souls for God? Only three in diapers? Only three teenagers? Only three families to visit Ryan and me when we're older, or even less if one (or more!) enters the religious life? It doesn't seem like enough either. I'm so blessed to even be able to have babies, to have relatively easy pregnancies and deliveries, and to have healthy easy kiddos. It's a life I don't deserve, even on days when I'm ready to ship them all off to live with someone else!
In the mean time, we always get through the day, most days we learn something new, and there are even days that we thrive!

4 comments:
I hear ya - sometimes the blog does take a lot of effort, but just know that your brighten my day from 1200 miles away with every post you do. :)
I'm glad Beth is adjusting to her new food and pray that little Jack will get readjusted to his sleep schedule. I admire you for the way you stay open to God's will for your family size - one of the many things I adore about you guys. :)
I hear you too sister, and I only have one little miracle to look after. I would say you've been given what you have because you can be and you are an amazing mother. You just need some mama time, do something fun for yourself to recharge your batteries.
I can't wait for the cousins to play together. I think Chris will be much more interactive this time.
Hi Stephanie,
I just wanted to take a minute to say that your blog has been a great source of encouragement for MANY people over these last few years.
Having only met you in passing (literally; just passing in the halls at Westwood) I never would have imagined that I would stumble upon your family blog link while lazily perusing a reunion site. Never would have guessed that I would start reading before you even found out whether Beth was going to be "a Bethany or an Ethan!"...certainly never guessed I would faithfully read through two more babies after sweet Beth came along.
What kept me, a childless, nondenominational city-dweller who seemingly has little in common with you, coming back to read again and again?
It's your honesty. The sometimes brutal but always REAL view you provide as a young mother with several small children. Through your eloquent and self-revealing prose, I have been truly blessed to pray over your struggles and even more blessed to rejoice in your victories.
All that to say...you will be missed while on "strike", "hiatus", etc...and surely welcomed "back" with open arms and open hearts upon your return.
I understand. You are very much your grandmother's and your father temperament.
Which is very good.
Now, be a little like your mom. Just "be". Go on strike. Get back to Adoration...mommies desperately need this. Exercise.
Oh, and, thank you for letting us watch our grandbabies grow up...(tear in eye), when we are far away. Because you so generously share them on this blog with us.
Post a Comment