Wednesday, November 10

EPIC FAILURE

"Epic Fail" is sort of a trendy phase right now, used in conversations to describe a situation that went wrong. Usually when someone is using that phrase, they're describing something that wasn't really that horrible, and "fail" is more of a verb than a noun so "failure" should probably be the right word choice. Anyways, the point of my blubbering is that this post, my dear friends, is truly about an epic failure.

I had a great idea. I thought I'd be a super-cool mom and paint a small wall in my kitchen with chalkboard paint, so I'd have a fun place to write lists while the kids had a convenient out-of-my-way place to doodle and kill some time while I finished up my kitchen chores. Ryan and I agreed it'd be a fun thing for the kids, and discussed this wall:

This small wall separates my kitchen from my family room. It's small, but big enough for two kids, and not right in my pathway when I'm cooking. Perfect. So Ryan went out of town for a night and I got to work. I painted it with black chalkboard paint, two coats. It went on well, and it was really nice to see fresh paint on a wall in this house! It made me want to paint more, but that's another story! I let the paint sit for 3 days, just like the can suggested, then went to town with white chalk to "condition" it. I noticed the problem when I tried to wipe it clean.

Texture, my friends. Texture. The perfect way to kill off a wonderfulawesometerrificfantastic idea. Texture means it never really gets clean. It means nothing written actually looks good. And it eats the chalk, which leads me to my next point.

Dust. Chalk dust everywhere! Piles on the floor, dust in the carpet, dust on the bottom of socks, dust on clothes, dust on the baseboard. DUST. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THE DUST?

Something I had considered were "oopsies," like chalk getting on an adjacent wall. I didn't really mind this as much since I despise the flat, ugly, original wall paint anyway. Even a random streak of colored chalk would be an improvement.

So as you see, this was an epic failure at its best. Yes, I can admit when I'm wrong and in this case, I was horribly wrong. Bad idea. I'm trying to figure out where or how I'd recommend this paint, and the only thing I can come up with is the inside of the garage wall. That might be fun, since kids get dirty outside anyways, chalk dust belongs outside, and drywall is flat. Hmmm... I do still have about half a can of chalkboard paint left... ;-)

6 comments:

The Zajicek's said...

haha - oh bless your heart Stephanie. It did sound like a really fun idea! Sorry it didn't work out so hot. :\

Mandi said...

I think the dust would drive me insane. I already go nuts over dog and cat hair bunnies that drift across the tile.
Our garage is also textured, so we will stick to sidewalk chalk, methinks. :D

Lindsey said...

Oh boy. A friend down the street, who has the most beautifully-appointed home, has a cool big chalkboard wall in their playroom. Well, one time we were visiting, and my kids started banging the erasers all over the wall. It took a minute for me to realize what they were doing. Then, someone walked through the living room and left chalkdust footprints on her gorgeous hardwoods. Oh, I wanted to die.

I hate chalk dust. You're never going to see a chalkboard in my house.

chalk board friendly moma! said...

Ah, as usual, I DISAGREE!! Okay, you could have filled in the wall.

But, there is a higher quality chalk that doesn't make as much of a mess.

And, a damp wet towel at the baseboard will catch dust. Also, use a damp washcloth to wipe board, no erasers being thrown at each other, Finley and Jack Jack....or mommy!!
A damp chalk board makes colored chalk colors more vivid :)

Just sayin' Happy Kids are worth a little dust!!!

grandma c said...

Holy chalk dust, Batman!!!

Lauren and Brian said...

LIKE.

 
site design by designer blogs