I've been debating weaning in my head for a few weeks now; people kept telling me it would naturally work out. Being pregnant for most women means decreased supply, pain while nursing, and change in the flavor- all of these things can lead to weaning. For me, I'm not sure what it means yet. We were nursing only 3 times a day- first thing after waking up, sometime during the day, and right before bed. Now, it's only right before bed. I'm having a harder time getting her down for a nap during the day since nursing was her cue to fall asleep- I think I'm going to have to figure out a nap routine since our bedtime routine has worked so well. Tonight she nursed for maybe 45 seconds on each side- I don't know if that means my supply has crashed, if she didn't like the taste, or if the molar she's cutting was bothering her. I'm a little sad about the whole thing- but as Ryan pointed out, it's the only thing I've done multiple times a day- every day- since she was born! I will miss nursing her, I have loved our nursing relationship. It has been such a perfect experience for me! But another part of me is ready to move on. It's really hard to describe, very bittersweet.
Since she's nursing less I'm really trying to get her to drink cow's milk. She's not taking it very well, so I'm a little frustrated. I feel like she's missing out on everything my milk offered to her. She drinks a lot of water, but doesn't like juice or milk. I was never a good pumper so pumping my milk and mixing it with cow's milk isn't an option for me. Other ideas? I've tried spiking it with chocolate and strawberry also. She still won't have it!
We've had a slow and relaxing week. Although since I lost our March Madness bet, I've been in charge of the dishes all week- I'm surprised at how clean the kitchen is actually staying! I feel like a good housewife, lol.
I'm also really starting to feel like a preggo now. I probably write that in every other post, huh? My belly is firm and itching, my belly button is looking distorted, and I'm starting to have that feeling that I'm never alone. Which, yeah, I have Beth with me most of the time. But on the rare occasion I am out of the house by myself, I just have that feeling that I'm not really alone, does that make sense? It's a good feeling for me! It's exciting to not be forgetting constantly that I'm growing a baby.
Wednesday, April 16
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I was thinking to when I started Hannah with milk and I bought her a "special" sippy cup like this one: http://www.bestbabygear.com/cuinstcup.html
that was only for milk. Maybe a new exciting cup will help? Hannah's had Dora on it, although she had/has no clue that Dora comes on TV. Are you going tomorrow? I am so sad I am going to miss it!!
You say "I've been debating weaning" but then "Now, it's only right before bed." Keep in mind, weaning is a process that begins when your baby has their first bite of solid food, and ends when they no longer breastfeed. So be encouraged, you *are* in the process of weaning, with her, and it sounds like it's going well. I know just what you mean about bittersweet.
My advice for the "replacement milk" would be offering her cheese, cheese sticks, cottage cheese, yogurt. And start giving her a half of a Flintstone's chewable vitamin a day. That's what I did with my 2yr old when she weaned (of course check with the age recommendations, I'm not really sure if they can be given before age 2) and it made me feel like it would "fill in the gaps" somewhat in her nutrition once she was no longer nursing. By the way, my first child never liked cows milk. We just did other dairy and the vitamin and made sure she was eating a balanced diet, and didn't worry too much about it.
Post a Comment