First, the trees. These are the trees we planted in January, we received free seedlings at a local community celebration and popped them in the ground. I didn't post a picture of the red buds or magnolias, but they're doing very well also!
Only one of the three pecan trees we planted has sprouted leaves- finally! The last of all of our trees we planted in January to spout.
A row of 7 Bald Cypress. We should probably decide soon which to keep and which to replant elsewhere.Our garden is growing, some plants more so than others. Overall I'm very impressed with the progress though. The only seeds that didn't sprout were my mint seeds I planted in a pot- I'm not sure if the seed packet was all bad or if I screwed it up somehow. I need to get out there and try them again because mint is yummy! All of our plants have been getting a weekly spray of liquid seaweed to try to ward off some little leaf-jumper bugs- and it's also good foliar feed for the tomatoes. I need to figure out how to keep my cilantro in check- it's too tall and most likely about to flower.
And now, the garden:

Out of control cilantro. I don't know what to do about this- the books I've read don't really describe how to take care of it. I guess we should start eating the good leaves- I know the feathery ones up at the highest points aren't tasty.
Lemons. There are quite a few on the tree, the biggest ones are about the size of a walnut. Nothing to report about the orange and lime trees. The orange tree has some pest issues, something is eating the leaves. I plan to take some leaves to our local master gardener and see what she has to say about it! The limes are there-they're just too small to photograph right now.
A roma tomato bush. This roma, planted in a single pot because we had no more space in the garden plot, is waaaay bigger than the roma in the garden! Now I need to figure out why- they're getting the same sunlight and same water/fertilizers. The only difference is we planted this one in a mix of our local sand (uh, soil) mixed with a bit of potting soil. 


2 comments:
YUMMY!! Nothing better than fresh food out of a garden! I bet yall are having a blast with that!
Congrats on the garden! Looks really good and not only will you guys eat some fresh food but you are doing something great for the environment too! YEY!
Post a Comment