Tuesday, October 27

One year checkup


Luke went to the doctor today for his one year checkup and for his very first vaccination. He checked out fine, with a weight of 20 lbs 2 oz (10-25%), height of 30 in (50%) and a head of 18 in (25-50%). He's on the smaller side but consistent on his growth curve! He had the Prevnar vaccine for pneumococcal disease, a vaccine that is relatively safe but for a disease that's pretty awful for the little ones. Luke does not enjoy doctor visits, he fights and strains at our pediatrician's every attempt to check him out!

In the past few days- actually in the past week- I feel like he's matured a ton. Maybe I'm just seeing him differently because I know he's older now but I don't think it's all in my head! The day before his first birthday he popped his second tooth, and just two days ago he started signing "more" with the right motions and in the right context. And today he signed "nurse," which I've never seen him do before! He's cruising around the kitchen using Beth's little chair as a walker, but he still hasn't had the nerve to step out on his own yet! Today Ryan noticed he was standing on his own, which is the second time we've seen him do that. Luke also will climb into small chairs on on the toy fire truck and get a huge closed-lip grin on his face while he waits for me or Beth to go push him. It's a classic Luke look- he puts his chin down, giving him a double-chin, and he smiles really big while keeping his lips closed. It's so funny and it's his signature smile!

here it is- he's so proud of himself for climbing into that chair all by himself!

He's also sleeping through the night! When we got back from our DC trip, Ryan and I agreed that something needed to change. Since he was almost sleeping through the night, we thought it would be a good chance to try something new. He was sleeping until about 4 am, and I would go to his room and nurse him back down and he'd sleep until about 7 am. When we got back from DC, instead of me going to his room, Ryan went in and would put him back down. After a few nights of that, I guess Luke realized he wasn't getting the good stuff anymore so he just started sleeping through. Super easy, but I think we just had to give him the chance, you know? And of course, it couldn't have been done without the loving dedication of his father to get up with him at 4 am! So now he and Beth wake up about the same time- 6:45. Early for this non-morning person, but they're both sleeping through so I cannot complain!

He's got such a neat personality, and his little quirks are becoming so unique to him now. He's very dramatic and opinionated, from everything to the food he eats to the toys he plays with. He does everything with passion and full intention. He giggles almost all day but gets sort of cranky every day around 4:30, usually right around when I start making dinner! If you lay on the floor, he'll crawl to you, climb over you and fall dramatically on the floor- then turn around and go back the other way! He adores Bethany, and that girl can always make him laugh! They're such a great team and I have no doubt they'll grow up closely and probably gang up on me eventually, ha!

1 comment:

The Zajicek's said...

So glad our little guy is healthy and happy! That's so great yall got a good sleep time routine with him! Yea for more sleep too! :)

 
site design by designer blogs