Monday, July 21

The big swtich

Today we had our first appointment with the midwife. The most exciting part first: during my exam, my midwife immediately felt Luke's head under my left ribcage. It was so obvious that she showed Ryan and me where to feel it and we were both able to sort of bounce his head between our hands. It sounds rough but it wasn't- it was like we could feel it sloshing around in my belly. Very very cool! On the other hand, it means Luke is not in the head-down position yet! It's still early but I would prefer he flip himself sooner than later- apparently the only OB who will deliver breech babies is about to move out of town! So flip baby, flip!

I absolutely loved my appointment. I was the only "patient" there (Ryan came too) and we talked with the midwife for at least an hour. She listened to me- even my silly concerns like my obscene spider veins- and really talked me through things and answered all of our questions. I didn't feel like just another patient that she needed to hurry up and see so she can meet her daily quota. It was really nice! She has me doing a daily food log so I can monitor my protein intake (uh oh) and has asked me to take a couple of supplements to naturally boost my iron and tone my uterus (alfalfa and red raspberry leaf tea). I really prefer the natural, non-pharmaceutical way of preparing my body for birth, one reason being that taking prescription iron supplements was really hard on my body!

Right now I'm really satisfied with our decision and don't imagine that feeling changing anytime soon!

Beth also had a well-baby checkup this morning and she is, of course, doing just fine. She's 26 lbs 6 oz (75%), 32 inches tall (50%) and in the 90th% for head size. :-)

1 comment:

Emily said...

That is SO great you had a good appointment, I wish Huntsville had a place like that! There is nothing better than being so happy and confident when you are preparing for your new baby :o) I can't wait to meet him!

 
site design by designer blogs