Wednesday, December 1

Advent and Christmas

This year I'll be trying something new, something I've wanted to do in the past but haven't really had the chance. We'll be celebrating the feast day of St. Nicholas on December 6th (next Monday). I've been reading up online of several people's traditions, talked to my sister-in-law about their Romanian traditions, and trying to decipher for our family what the right balance is. In years past I've been torn about whether to do the whole "Santa" thing or not, so we haven't made a big deal out of it and it hasn't been an issue. I finally feel that Beth is old enough to really get everything that's going on though, so we've got to get our act together!

As much as I want to emphasize Jesus, I also don't want to "steal" away their childhood by not including fantasy characters like Santa. I know that sounds silly but it's ridiculous how torn I am about this one!

Beth has been asked what she wants for Christmas from Santa, so now that the seed has been planted in her mind I've got to figure out how to keep the emphasis on Christ and not on wanting gifts. The past three years the children have received gifts from Mommy and Daddy, and one from the siblings, and one from Santa. This year I want it to be the same I think, except they'll also get some goodies on St. Nick's day.

As Catholic Christians, right now we're celebrating Advent and not Christmas. I have grand ideas of a larger-than-life Jesse tree, not decorating the Christmas tree until the December 24, singing "Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel" every day instead of songs about Santa, and having my children line up perfectly for holiday photos. Ha, I'll keep dreaming about that last one! My house is still decorated for fall, in my fantasy world I would have switched out my decor on the first Sunday of Advent (last Sunday). Instead, I think we'll switch things out on Friday when we go get our tree!

So for now, I think the plan is that every night we'll continue to read from out little Advent prayer book at dinner time. We'll decorate the house, continue talking about Jesus' upcoming birthday, and if it comes up, talk about how Santa's origins are in St. Nicholas. I have some coloring pages and maybe some crafts planned for St. Nick's day, we'll be polishing our shoes and leaving them out the night before for some goodies! This website has a ton of great information and craft ideas if you're interested.

3 comments:

Mrs. Claus said...

this year, the Jesse tree is going to be made out of butcher block brown paper, cut out into a tree shape and tacked to the wall. the JT ornaments will be colored appropriately, and then tacked on as we go along. EASY. :) It's the understanding behind the ornaments anyway!

there are also many beautiful Advent songs/hymns available.

CCC had the St. Nick DVD
lots of books on the true story of st. Nic

But, it is fun and okay to have some Rudolph the Red nosed reindeer mixed in there!
Along with eggnogg w/ a shot of brandy..............;)

Neen said...

We do also welcome Santa into our home. We have always claimed that Santa is just a modern looking Saint Nicholas. When the kiddos ask about Mrs. Clause or the reindeer we just talk about how people add to the story when they don't know the details and that is why the stories ar not all the same. We limit our gifts per child to 3. Reminding them that Christ got 3 gifts on his birthday and that is what they will get. I have found that as they grow up and learn more and more their spirits are not crushed. Saint Nicholas is a true historical figure and that adds comfort.
Have a wonderful advent!

Nicole said...

We always got a card and small gift for St. Nick's Day on my mom's side (eastern rite side) and it was like Christmas lite - a sneak preview of the fun to come!

 
site design by designer blogs