Thursday, December 23

6 months old


Ahhhh, six months old! Already!

Jack has been my "Oh really?" baby. Every time I think I know it all about parenting, he says, "Oh really?" and does the complete opposite of what I expect! Every time I think I've got this parenting thing down, he teaches me something new. He's been my first easy and quick labor, my first big baby, my first baby who slept perfectly from day 1 (only to stop sleeping perfectly at month 4), my first early teether, my first biter (maybe those two go hand-in-hand?), and the first time I haven't wanted my baby to grow up.

He's already taught me so much about humility! About not judging other moms or other babies...Because really, apparently after 3 kids, I don't know it all.

At 6 months, Mr. Jackson is:
-rolling both ways
-sitting up
-showing preference to mommy
-not sleeping well. sleeping very poorly, in fact, waking up a million times a night and usually waking up to hang out with mommy and daddy from 8-10 pm!
-experiencing his first cold- he's currently congested and hoarse!
-enjoying watching Beth and Luke play
-nursing a lot, no solids yet
-napping 2-3 times a day
-sporting 1 tooth!



It seems this six months has flown by waaaay faster than I remember with Beth and Luke. I know with them I was looking forward to the next milestone, waiting for them to sit up, crawl, walk... This time, I just want him to stay a baby! I don't want to start feeding him solids, I can't believe it's time to start The Bedtime Routine (famous at our house), and I can tell he's ready to grow up. He's ready to jump right in and play with Beth and Luke (we've seen him try to push up and crawl, and try to pull up to stand already!), he grabs everything I'm holding, eyeballs my food like he wants a big bite, and loves taking baths.


Some days I truly feel like he might be my last baby, and that's why I'm reluctant to let him grow up. But I can't hold him back either! He's had a slightly different babyhood than Beth and Luke had already (like not having his own room yet, by this age we'd been putting Beth and Luke to sleep in their own cribs and bringing them to our rooms in the middle of the night), but it's been better in some ways and worse in other ways. I love cosleeping with Jack, I just wish he's actually sleep!

I'm anxious to see what the next six months bring, but I hope they go by slowly!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hi Stephanie- merry Christmas! Thanks for commenting on my post the other day. Your prayers for discernment worked in spades...I had an overwhelming desire to give the woman her money back, very suddenly- after really not being sure before.

When I called her, she was crying hysterically, they had just had a death in the family a few hours before and not having a gift for their young son was the last thing they needed. She was very grateful and I felt very much at peace : )

Since it seems to ME that it was only yesterday I read the announcement of Beth's birth, I can only imagine what it's like to have those days going by so fast when they are your own children.

Jack is so precious, so marvelously chunky and baby-fied...if he IS to be your last baby...way to go out with a win, girlfriend! Plus, I have a feeling as long as you are willing to do The Baby Thing again...God will definitely bless you with more supermodel-DNA infused beh-behs.

You know, after Jack starts sleeping. Whenever that is. Soon, I hope!

I really hope you're all having a lovely holiday...I am actually in Houston with my family!
(Which: Lord have mercy, where did all these PEOPLE come from?!?))

Merry, merry! Let's not forget the magnitude of what we celebrate right now...a savior who loves us enough to give the ultimate gift. I'm saying that more to remind myself than anything. (I accidentally overheard my parents talking about my gift...and it's something really cool, which had me internally saying "ohmygosh ohmygosh, I'm getting _____!!!" So I was momentarily gripped by shallow consumerism. But for goodness sakes, they got me a ______!!!)

(it's an iPad, for nosy nellies out there ; )

 
site design by designer blogs