We started the day with me sleeping in till 9 (how nice!) and then we all went to Borders. I wanted to find a book for Beth about being a big sister but they really didn't have anything I liked- nothing geared toward little kids. We walked around a little and then came back home for lunch and birthday cards. Our car was our present to each other this year but I did get a big bar of Hershey's dark chocolate from Ryan! After we put Beth down I went to a baptism for a friend's new daughter. They used such beautiful symbolism and I hope to be able to incorporate some of that into Luke's baptism in a few months. It was beautiful!
Beth running around a grassy field after our short trip to Borders. Apparently she shouldn't have been on the grass and we were scolded by the security guard!Around 4:00, Ryan and I drove into the city for a "night out"- my first night away from Beth. We checked into probably the nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in (thanks Daddy!) just a few blocks away from where we used to live. I think they upgraded us- our room was on the corner and one entire wall was floor-to-ceiling windows! It was fun to go back to that area and see all the changes- and also everything that's stayed the same. Then we went to dinner at Churrascos- a South American cuisine restaurant. I'd been there once before but it was Ryan's first time- BOY was it delicious. It's probably the best food we've eaten in a long time- Ryan even ventured to say it was probably the best steak he's ever had! And no, there was no embarrassing singing to the birthday girl! After dinner we went back to our room to change then headed out to the horse tracks. Unfortunately we got there a little later than we'd hoped and only saw two races- but on the other hand that means we only lost money on two races. ;-) (Though Ryan would probably appreciate me saying that he almost won $60 had his horse been about 12 inches ahead of where he was when he finished.) After the tracks we went to Chilis to sit at the bar and have some drinks. The bartender made me some yummy virgin margaritas!
At the tracks- one of the two races we saw! See the horse all the way to the left (you may have to click to make the pic bigger)? I bet he'd come in 2nd place- therefore I lost!The next day we were planning on going to mass at our old church but decided to go to the new Cathedral instead. The new church was beautiful! During mass they baptized 3 kids and I realized that the two things that can always make me cry are births (I really can't watch a baby born on television without choking up) and baptisms (I cried at the one yesterday too). After mass we drove home and walked in to Beth napping. I can honestly say that there were several times yesterday and this morning that I truly missed my girl- even though I was gone from her for less than 24 hours. I guess attachment parenting works both ways!
A statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. If I remember correctly, this statue was hand-carved for the cathedral out of the same stone that Michaelangelo's David was carved from.
The altar and 12-foot crucifix- very beautiful. Overall it was an absolutely fantastic birthday! We're so grateful that Ryan's parents could take care of Beth- it's such a blessing to have them nearby and ready to take care of her whenever we ask! On my agenda for my 26th year- have another baby (duh), grow in my love for Christ through being faithful to my commitments, find some freelance writing gigs to make a little moolah, run another 10k, and maybe buy a bedroom furniture set!




5 comments:
Happy Birthday, Stephanie! Sounds like a totally fun weekend!
Happy birthday Stephanie! Sounds like you had an awesome time! :D
Josh was up in the balcony singing yesterday. One of our friend's baby was bapstised there yesterday (a little girl named Kate) but I don't know which Mass. Anthony was baptised at that font in July! :)
Great pictures! I'm so glad that you (and Ryan both) had a great birthday!
hey speaking of moo-lah and whatnot (i am also a fan of extra cash money) have you tried elance? it's an online freelance writing thing; there's always opportunities there. check it out.
Happy belated birthday! I'm so sorry I was late in getting this to you - but was away for a few days with everything going on with my grandma.
Anyways, I'm so glad you had a special day! Tell Ryan happy bday to him too!
Post a Comment