I talked to Beth's pediatric GI doc yesterday. He said the biopsy indicates celiac disease, and with her high numbers in her blood test result in addition to her symptoms that he most definitely recommends a gluten free diet.
It's bittersweet. It's nice to have a firm diagnosis so that we can treat her. It's good that treating her is merely a matter of diet change, and that she's so young that she'll most likely not sustain any permanent damage. She probably won't even remember the days when she wasn't gluten free.
On the other hand, it's still a big change. It might sound silly but I mourn for her that she won't have a no-worries lifestyle, that her life won't feel "normal." I know I KNOW that no one really has a "normal" lifestyle, that we all have our concerns, that it's not that big of a deal, yadda yadda... But seriously, as her mom, I need everyone to understand that this IS a big deal. Right now, at this time in her life, in my life, in our lives. I know we'll get through it and figure it out, but let me have a little time to be sad for her. Everything in life revolves around food, most social gatherings involve food of some sorts. Just today we had our All Saint's Day gathering of home school families and it was a potluck- I was first in line with a few other moms of children with allergies, picking out the foods that our children could eat. I am so lucky Beth loves raw veggies and fruit because otherwise all she would have been able to eat is the pasta dish that I brought. So, I know this isn't about me, I know we'll all get through it. I just need a little time to be sad for her.
That being said, I still appreciate everyone's prayers. We've always prayed for God's will to be done in our lives, and while I don't believe God "gave" Beth celiac disease, I believe he's given us the means to get through this. We will continue to pray for God to give us whatever we need to bring us closer to Him. Please continue to pray for Beth's health, that she won't experience any side effects from this, and Ryan and I receive the inspiration we need to guide her through this as carefully as possible.
Saturday, October 30
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear that the diagnosis was confirmed, but glad like you said that the cause has been identified so you guys can make the changes to help Beth feel better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling a little sad about this - that is so natural and of course you would love for your sweet girl to not have to adapt to something like this. Prayers for you guys as you make these adjustments for your whole family.
comfort the sorrowing. I can't think of a better mom and dad to take on the huge challenge this will be for Beth, and the rest of your family. It's necessary to feel the real loss. Prayers for you.
I'm sorry, Stephanie. I think it's totally natural to be sad about this. Will pray that the lifestyle changes aren't too difficult for you all.
Post a Comment