Wednesday, March 10

Explaining the move

We went over to the new house this morning to have pest control come spray before we move our furniture over. We were only there for a few minutes but I got a couple of cute pics of Luke. Beth is going through a "don't take my picture!" phase and will pout terribly if I try, so I've stopped trying. I'll give it a few days! Everything's a phase, right?


We have a long sidewalk in front of our house, and it's not like the sidewalk is coming up or broken, but for some reason Beth and Luke have each wiped out several times. The weather has been in the mid-70s and absolutely lovely, so they've both been wearing shorts. Now both of their little knees are all scraped up! Luke found a fire ant pile this morning too, luckily I noticed before the ants crawled onto his skin. The bug guy said he's spray the fire ant piles too, so I'm hoping that when we go over there tomorrow they'll all be dead!

We have a drainage issue in our yard- as in it doesn't drain. We have a ton of crawfish holes! The back of the backyard is a small pond after it rains, and the rest of the yard is very soggy and takes forever to dry out. Ryan really wants to remedy this problem, any ideas? We haven't looked into it much, our initial thought is just to add more dirt to the yard to build it up.

We spent our afternoon at home today, packing up a little more. I thought Beth had a pretty good understanding of the concept that we are moving houses, but today she sort of freaked out when I took her shelf off the wall. I've packed up books, toys and decor from her room, but I guess the shelf was more of a permanent fixture. She stated crying, asked me to leave it up and said she wanted to leave it in her room. I tried to explain that her room would be in the new house, and we'd put it for her there. She told me she wanted to leave it for the next people to use this house, but I still don't think she fully grasped the idea that this house won't be ours anymore. It was sort of sad, but I have no doubt she'll adore the new bedroom I have planned for her!

Despite the tears, they did enjoy playing with some boxes today. We made a couple of houses that they knocked over quite a few times. ;-)

4 comments:

The Zajicek's said...

aww, bless her little heart. that does have to be hard when they just don't really understand. But you are right - they are going to love their big new house!

About the drainage - we had that problem with our house in Houston so Michael built a bigger drainage ditch on the side where the water runs into and that seemed to help.

grandma c said...

Are those mardi gras beads hanging around my grandson's neck? Fisher Price should invent a toy called "a box." The kids are having a blast!

mama schmerb said...

a french drain is needed.......soggy back yard=mosquitoes......and crawfish holes!
she is not going to understand. just help her the best you can.

VivaLaValerie said...

I am going to be in Houston for the day on Monday the 22nd with Elridge! I was hoping we could meet up and maybe take you and the kids out to lunch or bring you some moving refreshments just to see you and say hi! I love you and miss you lots!

 
site design by designer blogs