We had a big day today!
First off, we close on our current home next Friday, the 26th. We had a new roof put on for the buyers this past Monday; luckily insurance paid for it and it wound up being not a penny out of pocket- wohoo! By the way, if you ever get a new roof put on your house, plan to go out of town for a couple of days because it's loud and obnoxious!
Yesterday we found out that the bank said no to making any repairs on the house we want to buy. I scrambled around and found specific inspectors to look at the house today since our option is over on Sunday, and overall it was generally good news. The trusses are apparently fine- they need to be repaired, but it won't cost more than $300 (quotes the contractor- ha!). We were just happy to hear the house isn't going to come crashing down! The septic tank is fine, and the A/C needs a new coil for under $2k, but our Realtor seems to think we might not really "need" it and could get by without it for now.
We're going to ask the bank to lower our asking price a little and see if they go for it. The probably won't, but we decided we're still most likely going to buy the house. We're really buying it for a steal, and there's no way we'd be able to afford this house under conditions other than a foreclosure! Ryan and I have said we feel like huge snobs telling people our new home is over 3,000 sq feet! I think our closing date on this house is mid-March sometime.
We've arranged a lease-back with the buyers of our current home so we'll be living in this house until we move into the new one, which I am so thankful for. I was dreading the idea of temporary housing, moving our furniture to storage, and being uprooted for too long. It's starting to hit me that we're moving out of this house- our first house- and I'm a little sad! But the home we're buying is the home we hope to stay in forever, and that makes me really happy. :-)
Friday, February 19
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That's so exciting! I'm so glad it's all working out for you guys! Email me a pic of the new house if you can - we'd love to see it!
yes, definitely snobs...:D
Someone beat me to it. Snobs. Chris
Post a Comment