Today Beth and I went to the pool for the second time. Today was a much better pool day since it was hot, mostly sunny, and the water was a great temperature. Beth actually got into the baby pool today and started walking around- she really took off! She wasn't interested in holding my hand at all, and I think she walked rather well in the water considering it was up to her chest in certain parts of the baby pool. She even "jumped" into the water- I was holding her as she jumped in- but she wanted to do it over and over again. After awhile I got pretty hot so we went to the big pool and I held her close to me until she got used to the big kids and adults. Then I extended my arms, holding her underarms, and told her to kick her legs- she went to town!!! She didn't want to stop kicking, even when I brought her back to me. Next I tried to let her "float" on her back- she wasn't really comfortable with that but we'll get there soon.
I would love to make sure I'm teaching her the right things regarding water safety and baby swimming. I know not to expect her to swim to me from the side or anything but it would seem to me that there are certain things she should know or be learning right now. I searched our library database and couldn't turn up anything on teaching babies to swim, so do y'all have any advice?
Also, overheard today while in the big pool-
Mom, to kid dunking brother underwater: "Tyler, don't drown your brother please."
Kid: "But mom, I'm baptizing him!" Both boys giggle.
I almost died of laughter!
Tuesday, May 27
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow! It sounds like Beth is catching on so quickly to this whole swimming thing! What a smarty pants.
I can't wait to find out if she's a big brother or a big sister! I will try to restrain myself from checking your blog ten times tomorrow!
Hi, Stephanie! Love your trip pictures. I replied to your comment on my blog site. I wasn't sure how to reply directly to you. (I have computer-illiteracy issues.)
I used to teach "Mommy & Me" swim lessons and all aged kids! I'll call you soon and give you some ideas to work with and so we can catch up!
I've taught lots of kids (although not necessarily Beth's age) to swim. Two things to remember, if I may make suggestions:
1) Kids are visual. If you want them to do something, show them yourself first. This also shows them that it's safe to do (ie: floating on the back, although this one might require Beth standing on the side)
2) Kids develop water competence at different ages. Forcing only leads to traumatic experiences. Sometimes waiting is a good strategy. However, I know I'm probably preaching to the choir on this one.
Have you gotten her to blow bubbles? put her face in the water? Those are good starting points.
Good luck!
Post a Comment