Friday, May 30

Bugs

Raising a toddler is an interesting study of learned versus instinctual behaviors. Like dancing. Totally instinctual, lol. This girl just started moving one day without any coaxing on our part and hasn't stopped! Personally, I always thought that a fear of bugs was mostly a learned behavior. It seems that way at least- some families are scared of dogs, bugs, mice, etc., and others could care less. Well, Beth's fear of bugs has developed all on her own. And boy, does she hate bugs!

She will call me from across the room to let me know if there's a bug- dead or alive- and won't stop squealing about it until I pick it up and throw it away. Not only bugs though (it's not like we live in a barn!) but pieces of leaves or dirt that have been tracked inside. Anything that resembles a bug must be quickly removed by me. While playing outside, I'll pick up a rolly-polly bug (doodle bug?) and let it crawl over my hand while she says she wants to touch it but won't. On the bright side, it's helping me keep the floors very clean!

She also has become very nit-picky about things that are in the wrong place. Not toys (I wish) but something like a tiny speck of food or goodness knows what, she'll pick it up and bring it to me. Luckily it hasn't been anything disgusting yet, but even Ryan's aunt noticed this "quirk" last week when we were visiting their house. Again, I have to get up and throw whatever it is away (placing it on my plate or in a napkin won't do).

Tomorrow is an incredibly exciting day for me- we're going test driving for a new car!!! This will be my first time to do anything like this since my first two cars sort of just happened. Ryan and I are going to test drive a Mazda 5 and a Toyota Rav4. Depending on how that goes, we may try some other vehicles but right now we're leaning toward one of those two based on our research from Consumer Reports and Edmunds.com. For us, with a growing family plus a dog, the interior room seems acceptable (on paper- haven't seen them in real life!) up against the better gas mileage than some bigger SUVs. Initially we were going to check out a Honda Pilot, Saturn Outlook, Toyota Highlander, and Ford Taurus X, but with gas prices we just can't convince ourselves that 17 or 18 mpg is acceptable right now. We don't plan on buying until late September or early October, so I suppose something *could* change by then, but I doubt it! We're still not sure if we'll buy new or used, but we've generally been happy with my little Mazda Protege. We still may keep it also, as well as Ryan's truck. I can't imagine being a 3-car family but my Protege gets better mileage than his truck, so he might start driving that to work eventually. But it's really nice to have a truck bed to haul stuff when we need it! Lots of things for us to think about!

Here are some pictures of my little ham. Yesterday we were listening to some music, she was dancing and in a great mood so I grabbed the camera. I took a TON of pictures because she was being so stinkin' cute but unfortunately she likes to put her face right up against the camera so some are a little too close!




No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs