Saturday, May 14

Gluten-Free Girl

Miss Bethany has been gluten-free for over six months now!  Friday we had a routine checkup with our ped GI.  Since late September, our first visit with him, Beth has gained 3.5 lbs and grown 2 inches!  If there were any doubts in her growth, in September, she was 47th percent for weight and 35th for height.  Now, she's 54th percent for weight and 40th for height.  The doctor said her growth is great but we'll actually see an even bigger change in the upcoming year, assuming she has no issues she'll go back to see him next May.



I've noticed that her "pregnant" belly is disappearing, no doubt in part due to her growth in height!  She has hair growing in that I didn't even realize she had been missing. :-(  Her appetite is healthy and she makes no complaints about her diet restrictions.  To this point I think I think we've found substitutions for all foods except Goldfish, but that hasn't been an issue yet!  We've meet a few other kids with "gluten-free tummies" and on some level I think it comforts her.  I know it will mean more to her as she gets older though.

The boys and Ryan and I continue to keep gluten in our diets.  I don't think we'll test for genetic markers but just continue to watch the rest of us for symptoms.  Jack's been having some issues with dirty diapers so even though I think it's just this 6th tooth that's popping through, it's always on the back of my mind that it could be celiac disease.  :-/

Overall I think we're all in a good place right now!  It makes my heart smile watching Beth grow and change into a bigger "girl" than just a preschooler. 

2 comments:

mama schmerb said...

so happy. Those pic's are art, and, reminisant of Eloise!

grandma c said...

Those pictures need to be framed and hanging up in your home! Now, if only you could figure out a way to have Elton John playing "Tiny Dancer" in the background.

 
site design by designer blogs