Lent is too late this year for my preferences, but maybe that's a good thing. I've been waiting for it for so long, so I've had plenty of time to reflect and prepare for how God is calling me to respond this year. I think you could liken my anticipation for Lent as someone might anticipate the new year... A chance to "start over," make new resolutions, and turn over a new leaf... In the mean time, I'm cramming my face with sweets in anticipation for the fast!
In keeping with my Small Steps for Caholic Moms, March's theme is self-sacrifice. Yes, I'm sure the authors did that on purpose! What I've already learned in the seven days of this month is that for me, I usually use sacrifice as an opportunity to offer prayers for people, but I don't usually allow myself to become too uncomfortable. This Lent I think I want to step outside of my comfort zone, I'm feeling very called to drastically change things, but I'm still not sure how yet.
In past years, I've also laughed at the idea that Sundays are "cheat days" and we don't have to continue to fast on these days. As I read more about keeping the Sabbath, I've realized that every Sunday is truly a "little Easter" and cause for joy and celebration! (I know this isn't news for many people but just that little thought has helped me see past the "cheating" idea, lol.) We will continue to have our after- church Sunday brunches at our home, and hopefully incorporate some extra-special prayer time with the kids too, and keep these days as breaks from our Lenten fast. However, the rest of the week will be particularly dreary. ;-)
I haven't completed our Lenten projects yet but the kids will each have a poster of a little lamb that they will fill in with cotton balls as we count down to Easter. We will also be making a crown of thorns using homemade salt dough and toothpicks, and I plan to use this on my mantel with my Lenten decor. (I've discovered I love changing my mantel around for the seasons, so why not for Lent? Then it will be made absolutely beautiful and colorful after Easter!) We'll probably do something special on Shrove Tuesday also, I'm not sure what yet. I've gotten a lot of my ideas (okay, probably all of them) from this blog, Catholic Icing, and she refers to other blogs quite a bit as well. No need for me to reinvent the wheel!
As you prepare yourself and your family for Lent, I pray that you have a meaningful journey through the desert with Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment