Saturday, July 4

Garden update

I should just give up. Bah.

My garden isn't doing so well this year, probably because I started it about a month too late. Now it's too stinking hot for anything to do well. Everything is growing, but not really well and not producing anything. Well, the cherry tomatoes are doing well, but those did awesome last year too so I'm pretty sure it's just one of those plants you can't hurt.

My citrus are gone. The plants are physically alive, but there are no flowers or fruit on any of them. All those flowers and baby oranges? Gone. Fallen off, most likely victims of mealy bugs.

My basil isn't doing well this year, it's just not growing. In fact, all of my herbs are like that- not dead, but no bigger than a month ago. I can't harvest anything because there's just nothing to take!

my pathetic garden.

basil. anyone know what the little squiggly lines are in some of the leaves? (click on the pic to make it bigger)

squash. i've had a few pretty flowers, but then they fall off and produce no actual sqaush.

cherry tomatoes! they're good! we've had a few romas too that have also been yummy.

cucumber flowers. again, flowers, but no fruit.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

The squiggles are from leaf-miners, tiny insects who make the trails by eating through the leaves. The unmarked leaves are not affected by them--you can still eat them with no worries. I would pick off the marked leaves and destroy them.

Your basil is leggy--tall and slender. I'd harvest the tops of the plants, maybe 1/3 of the leaves. I've been told that the more you pick off, the more they will grow. I bought a fairly full one from HEB this spring and as long as I keep it watered almost daily (we've gotten NO rain since May!!) it's stayed full and grown well. Make sure yours has plenty of direct sun as well. It might be a bit spindly b/c it's in too much shade?

I think this has been a hard summer for any kind of crop. Too much heat, too little moisture. The blueberries were pretty lame when we went out picking a couple weeks ago. All my plants are desperate if I don't water them often. Well, not the weeds. Stupid things are thriving, and it's too hot for me to go out and pull any.

God bless!

Julie said...

Like you, I was late in starting the garden (mid-May!)...So far my cukes only have flowers as well, but I'm hopeful! My bell peppers and eggplants are finally starting to put flowers on. Waaaayyyy too hot in SC for the lettuce I tried to grow. The blueberries are a bit heat-stressed as well, I think!

Last year my squash had the downy or powdery mildew stuff and every time it tried to make a squash it would rot and die. Yum. This year I grew from seed and they are taking over my garden!!!

Are you giving them compost and enough water? Are they getting enough sun? most veggies love full sun and I know you have a lot of partial shade in your backyard. I think my veggies are loving the raised bed system we put in.

The Zajicek's said...

I feel your pain. Our whole back deck (where we have all our potted veggies and herbs) got taken over by tiny red spiders! UG!

 
site design by designer blogs