Sunday, January 13

Historic night

The past two nights, history has been made in our house! Friday, after much thought and consideration, Ryan and I decided it was time to implement a plan to help Beth sleep. Since I've read just about every sleep book out there (from cry-it-out advocates to never-let-them-cry advocates), and since we've tried almost every option we'd consider, we decided we'd try a modified cry-it-out version to help Beth sleep, I hate the idea of letting her cry, but having honestly given everything else a shot it was time to try this. Friday night we did our regular bedtime routine with Beth, and then after nursing I layed her in her crib, kissed her and told her I loved her, and left her room. She cried for all of *2* minutes before she was silent- and then she slept until 1:15. At 1:15, I went back into her room (usually I'd just get her and bring her to bed with us), I layed her down again with her Nuk, patted her back for a couple of minutes and then left. She cried again for about 2 minutes, that was it! She slept until 4:30, when Ryan went in and patted her back until she went back asleep, then she woke up one more time at 6:15, we did the same thing and she slept until 8:00. A whole night in her crib! She woke up happy as I've ever seen her at 8:00! I can't tell you how refreshed I was- even though I woke up several times throughout the night.

So last night we did it again. Actually, Ryan did her whole bedtime routine since I left to go have my hair cut. He put her down and she fussed for a couple of minutes, at around 8:00. We didn't hear from her again until 7:15 this morning, when Ryan went to check on her! Almost 12 hours, asleep in her own bed! WOHOO!

We're about to go start our nightly routine...Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is BIG news! Good luck again tonight.

Anonymous said...

Yea! I am SO SO happy for you, what a huge change you guys will experience in your night, now you actually have one! From someone who has been there, I know how HUGE this is!! YEA!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi...I found your blog through the Class Report site for Westwood! I was class of 98 but took early graduation in late 96/early 97 semester.

Anyway, I have so enjoyed reading your blog. I have one of those memories where I recall pretty much every single person I ever spoke to in high school and you probably don't remember, but we chatted once or twice in the student center. I can't believe what a well-spoken and eloquent young woman you are-- even though it's silly, you expect people to still be the gangly kids they were when you last saw them!

Anyway, I am just so proud for you-- you are obviously excelling at the most important job in the world; mothering. Your daughter is just gorgeous, such a little beaut. And you can tell she is nursed- she just glows with health and radiance.

I wanted to comment because there's a blog I thought you could benefit from. Now that I think about it, you and this person remind me a LOT of each other.

She has a baby just a tiny bit older than Beth, and she recently night-weaned so that they could all get some sleep. I know she had great success with it. Her daughter still gets most of her nutrition from breastmilk at 14-15 months, too. (Just FYI)
Her blog is
http://ennorath.typepad.com/

Your babies even remind me of each other, and I think you two are about the same age and share similar values in faith and family. I don't know why I haven't thought to "introduce" you before.

I know her baby was not a good sleeper at ALL but after night weaning, I believe she's doing at least somewhat better. Perhaps you can grab her coattail and see about the specifics of night weaning- maybe it's something that could help you as well. By the by, she is vehemently opposed to "cry it out" and night-weaning still seemed to work for her pretty well.

Even if you don't use any of her methodology, I think you'll like her blog...she is hilariously funny and some of her observations about parenting and marriage will just make you laugh hysterically while you're nodding emphatically "yes, I know!"

Godspeed!
-Liz

Mandi said...

How exciting is that! Congrats to you!

Caroline said...

AWESOME! Congrats to your family on a big milestone :o)

 
site design by designer blogs