Saturday, January 5

1 year checkup

Beth went in for her 1-year checkup and we have some good stats for you! She's 21 lbs, 6 oz (up to 50-75% percentile!) and 29 1/4 inches (up to 50-75%)! Our girl's growing! Our pediatrician was a little surprised because this is about the time when babies slow down in growth since they're so active.

She also received her first ever vaccination! She did extremely well, a quick poke, some nursing and then she was all smiles for the rest of the day! We've chosen to selectively choose and delay her vaccinations until 1 year, so she received one vaccine yesterday for Pc- pneumococcal disease. In 3 months she'll receive the HIB, and after than she'll get one more shot of each to complete the series. She only needs 2 shots of each since we're starting her at an older age. We're skipping everything else, for a variety of reasons (age, ingredients of the vaccines, safety). We'll most likely do the Tetanus series at age 5, and do blood tests around 10-11 years to test for natural immunity for some of the other diseases-then re-evaluate her needs then. It was easy to decide that we didn't want to follow the standard CDC recommendations, but it was difficult to decide how we felt was the most appropriate and safest way for us to do it for our child. Luckily we had some great resources (including non-biased The Vaccine Book, which I highly recommended to anyone with children!) and a supportive pediatrician. I would be more than happy to talk to anyone privately about our decisions or share the copious amounts of information I've learned!
New Year's Eve
Cute girl!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw a show about how some vaccines were made and I have been disturbed ever since. I think the problem is that there is so much money in the pharmaceutical world that you have to be cautious.

Great family pic at New Years!

Michael

 
site design by designer blogs