Wednesday, November 8

Back and forth on labor and delivery

I would guess this is normal to be feeling this way...

I am so back and forth on labor and delivery. Actually I know I want to try my darndest for an unmedicated birth but some days I feel so empowered and strong and other days I'm scared to death about it. We still haven't hired a doula because we didn't really like the one we met with and I can't find any others that are within our budget. I'm thinking it's not going to happen this time, which I'm okay with now. I can't remember if I posted this before, but meeting with her (the potential doula) actually made me *not* want a doula. I am the kind of person who deals with stress internally, by kind of letting it build up inside of me. I might not actually want anyone else there (besides DH, of course) to hold my hand or get me through it. And DH has been so wonderful to this point about rubbing my feet and keeping me feeling comfortable, that I have no doubt he'll do an excellent job once I'm actually in labor. So this first birth it will probably be just us. And I'll start praying now I have some good labor and delivery nurses!

See, right now I feel really strong. I feel like I can take on the world and handle this pain. But I know tomorrow or the next day, I'll hear or see something about how difficult labor really is or hear about someone's experience and it'll scare me. I'm doing my best to stay positive because I really think that your point of view influences the way you deal with life. I'm not going into this telling myself it'll be horrible and painful, but instead that yeah, it'll hurt, but I am strong and I'll be able to handle it. And I'll have a little baby girl to hold once it's all over. I think that'll help me get through it!

Another thing I've been dealing with is a lot of negativity from people- sometimes complete strangers- about me being a "first time mom." How I have no idea what's coming to me! And I better beware because life will be completely different and I won't adjust without doing X,Y or Z! And DH and I will never have alone time again! It's so frustrating. Even at the baptism class the other day, someone jokingly commented that us first time parents probably didn't know who Simba was because we don't have kids yet so we've never seen a Disney movie... Uhh... ok. I wish people would quit getting down on first time parents. I know what some of it will be like because I have 5 younger siblings, and I remember 4 of their births. I was there for one of them. I've changed diapers. I've babysat plenty. I know how to hold a newborn's head. I've definitely seen my fair share of Disney movies. The Lion King came out when I was 12. I know not all first time parents feel prepared but I'm sick of feeling degraded like that. People should be encouraging of first time parents, not telling them how hard it's going to be!

Today we have a dr. appointment, should be a quick one. I am a full 33 weeks pregnant today. 37 weeks is full term- so in 5 weeks I'll be full term- that's December 6. I know she'll come when she's ready but I'm already hoping she'll be ready a little bit early. I'm tired and I want my old body back! I've outgrown about 80% of my maternity clothes already. Not fun when you have to wear the same thing to work at least twice in one week!

3 comments:

Mandi said...

There is something to be said for experience, but don't let those talking down to you get through. Be a duck and let it slide. Everyone copes with things differently - and you MADE the choice to have a child, it's not like you guys aren't ready. I know it's hard (believe me) when people LAUGH at you when you tell them you aren't having an epidural. For me, it's not a medical choice, so they can laugh all they want. Steph, those people who are talking down don't know YOU. Even if you end up accepting some medications, you will make the choice that is right for yourself and Beth. Keep your chin up - she's almost here!

Anonymous said...

Lucky Woman and Lucky DH--

Do not listen to the negative talk. Trust us. This will be a labor of love. Ask most mamas and papas and they will tell you...it is SO worth the effort. You two are about to experience a miracle.
Enjoy it.
Love,
Grandma C and Grandpaul

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

hi there,
i just wanted to say hi and thanks for the link to my cafepress store - attached at the hip. :)
i, too, am expecting - due any day now with baby #2.
for what it's worth (and you can definitely take this or leave it), if there's a way you can afford a doula (check into doulas working on their certification - they are cheaper), i highly recommend it. i WISH i had had one with my first birth (in a hospital). this time around, i'm not having one only because i'm having a homebirth with two midwives present, but if i was going the hospital route again, i'd definitely hire a doula. i really think (if you find the right one for you) that their support and assistance can be invaluable.
wishing you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy and birth! :)

--amy
http://crunchydomesticgoddess.blogspot.com/

 
site design by designer blogs