Monday, September 21

Lift me up

I was thinking it would be nice to write down a list of my favorite songs for when I feel like I need God to swoop in and pick me up. Every day has it's ups and downs, but some days I need rescuing. Actually when it hits me the most is when I think I'm doing fine all by myself, then I hear one of these songs on our Christian radio station, and I just break down bawling in the car. (Yes, it happens. Becoming a mother has activated my tear ducts.) Anyways, this sort of "spiritual arrogance," as I've dubbed it, is what really gets me most of the time. When I'm keeping it all together by myself but lack dependence on God. It's not even like I don't think I don't need Him, more like apathy (which is almost worse!). So, back to the point of this post, here's my top 10 list of songs that move me.

1. Bebo Norman- Nothing Without You
2. Mercy Me- Here with Me
3. Addison Road- Hope Now
4. Tenth Avenue North- By Your Side
5. Overflow- Cry on My Shoulder
6. Phillips Craig and Dean- Revelation Song
7. Mercy Me- Jesus Bring the Rain
8. Casting Crowns- Praise You In This Storm
9. Knees to the Earth- Watermark
10. God of Wonders- Third Day

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting now, but these really are some of my favorite songs ever. I started listening to Christian music mostly toward the end of college (as a result of a Lenten sacrifice of giving up secular music in the car), but I guess I could say it really started in Lifeteen during high school. Love Song for a Savior? Dive? Yeah, those bring me back! (Anyone from Lifeteen read my blog?!) I listen to Christian music mostly now, especially now that Beth listens to and repeats music she hears. I love watching her jam out to Toby Mac. ;-)

And for good measure, a really good song on the radio right now:
Johnny Diaz- More Beautiful You

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am LOVING Revelation Song right now - it's at the top of my list! Also up there is Shadowfeet ... it's by Brooke something (I can't remember her name)

mama schmerb said...

I don't know all those songs, but, you know, God of Wonders is a fave.
And, usually when I am in "spiritual arrogance or apathy", (like those terms!)
I like "Jesus Take the Wheel" Carrie Underwood.
Thanks for the play list!!!

Gregorian Chant is very special too. Very calming and soothing. Bringing me into the Presense of the Lord. Quiet, darkened church, the smell of the candles. Quiet Adoration of the Lord. hhmmmm.

Lauren and Brian said...

oh beth... Toby Mac is my homeboy... we usually hit the concerts when he's in town, i'll have to remember to call you - so fun!

Lauren and Brian said...

Okay here's some of my faves... go grab em at itunes... or i'll burn you a disc

Captivate Us - watermark
Beautiful - Bethany Dillon
Pierced - Audio Adrenaline
Give me your eyes - Brandon Heath
Wait and see - B Heath
Sweetly Broken - jeremy Camp
Resurrection - Nicole Sponburg.. anything nicole sponburg
Held - natalie grant
Tears of the saints - Leeland (to be sung while praying for family members neglecting their walk... try not to cry - I dare you!)

-side note, leeland is a local band that has a great unique sound.. check em out.
-also side note, have pretty much every TMac if you want me to burn you one...

 
site design by designer blogs