Thursday, January 28

The End of the Time Known as Rest Time

We've entered a new phase in our lives.  The phase where not only do the big ones not sleep, but apparently no longer need rest either.  The beautiful quiet time that has kept me sane over the past 9 years has come to an end, and I've tried with all my might to keep it going but I can see there's no fighting it any longer.

Rest time is over.

It started with Beth last year.  She didn't need to rest, so she would sometimes do some quiet school work on her own.  She took a lot of initiative and picked up books or work that she knew she'd need to do and she'd try to get ahead.  I'd have been a fool to not allow that!  So I allowed her to have quiet time in the school room while her brothers had to stay in their room.

But they weren't really quiet either.  They like their radio on, and despite my pleas to keep it down, it would slowly get louder and louder.  And if I was in the kitchen or living room, I could hear it through the ceiling.  Or I could hear them jumping off beds, thudding the floor with such force that the chandelier in the dining room would sway.  But, it was rest time- and even though they weren't resting much, I was.  And I didn't want to (or couldn't!) get up from whatever it is I was doing, so I let it go.  Because who is going to get out of bed when napping with a sweet warm baby?

Fast forward to now.  Caeli takes a predictable nap around 12:30 pm, and I try to coordinate her nap with their "rest time."  (It's in quotes now because you can clearly see there isn't much resting going on upstairs, even less now than last year.)  But sometimes she naps earlier, and she winds up accompanying me while the three big kids go upstairs.  So no more sewing during rest time.  No more blogging or writing.  And no more time-consuming tasks that, to me, just aren't worth even getting started with such generous help.  And definitely no more napping.

Now with a three students, one with whom I truly try to stay on-schedule, there's more lessons to be done.  Sometimes we have to school during rest time, which is always disappointing to me but it's a good time to work on something intensive if Caeli is napping.

And finally, we have places to go.  The library, lessons, play times, and errands.  We can't do those things in the morning anymore, and I truly detest running errands after 4 pm.  So that leaves 1-3 pm.  Rest time.

I'm sad to see it go!  Truly sad!  But in some ways, it's exciting because I feel like it's the next step in our lives.  Rest time has served me well over the years, but I accept that it's time to move on to the next phase!

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs