Sunday, June 21

Answer Me This: Father's Day!

I haven't blogged in a while because I feel like I'm suffering from a bit of writer's block.  We've finished up our 2014-2015 school year and started swim lessons at the YMCA.  We went to a lake with friends and wound up having a crazy time (more to come on that soon).  As for now, I thought it would be easy enough for me to link up with Kendra, one of my favorite bloggers, for "Answer Me This" and simply answer a few questions in honor of Father's day. I sorta have an amazing father of my children, and my old man isn't half bad either!  

1. What's the best thing about your dad?
The best thing about my dad is that he's always trying.  I didn't understand that when I was a kid, but as an adult I see that he's always trying to grow, learn more about his faith, please his family members, stay healthy, and make amends for past errors.  He's taught me that when we get stuck, we don't give up.  And he's taught me that sometimes it's super hard to apologize, but it's something that we just have to do sometimes, because none of us are perfect. ;-)

And I truly love watching him be a grandpa to my children.



2. If you've got kids, what's the best thing about THEIR dad?
Ryan is simply amazing.  I know that because I'm married to him, but I hear it all the time from other people as well so I know it's not just my bias.  He's so fun with the kids, always trying to make them laugh but knowing when it's time to be serious and learn virtue or discipline as well.  I appreciate his mild manner and understanding that they're just kids, with expectations that are reasonable, and that he's not afraid to shower them with love or silliness (depending on what they need).  He's just so intuitive.  (Okay I think that was multiple things but I just couldn't help myself!)



3. What's the best advice your dad ever gave you?
My father told me that we have to respect people even if we don't get along with or care for them all that much.  As an adult, I see that playing out in my life all the time when I run into people that I don't really mesh well with but try my hardest to see the positive and give them the benefit of the doubt.  But it's really helped me with people in positions of authority that I don't agree with.  Instead of arguing and being demeaning, I've learned to speak truth in charity and take other people's feelings into consideration.  I try to be very empathetic. Even though I didn't understand what he meant long ago when he said that to me, it's been something I've incorporated and expanded upon in my life to this day.


4. What's something you have in common with your dad?
My dad and I are both hard workers.  We like "projects" and to keep busy.  We both love the Lord above all things, and we both get super bright red faces when we work out for a long time!


5. What's the manliest thing you know how to do?
Me?  Ha!  Um... I used to know how to change a tire and check the oil in my (college) car.  I can build bookshelves and mow the grass.  I roughhouse with my boys and like to fish.  But I don't like "potty" humor and I can't burp on demand!

6. Who is your favorite fictional dad?
I have no clue so I'll change the question to who else has been a fatherly figure in my life?  My father-in-law has provided much healing to me as I've seen him model a functional relationship with my mother-in-law, and be interested in my life in a different sort of way than I was used to.  Growing up, I looked up to several of my uncles, admiring their love for their wives and dedication to God.  And I also had a few high school friends with dads who were very kind to me, and will always appreciate their involvement in my life during some difficult times.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of your best posts! Very nice...

Ann-Marie Ulczynski said...

So sweet about your father in law!

 
site design by designer blogs