Friday, March 7

A Friday Night

The house is quiet, except for the quiet sounds of our dishwasher.  All babies are sleeping (for the moment); it's Friday night so it's "sleepover night" at our house.  Beth, Luke, and Jack choose a bedroom and they all sleep on the floor together.  It's a special Friday night tradition, and that also means it's Daddy's "night off" from reading to them because Beth will read to the boys before they turn off the lights and make shadow puppets, giggle, and fall asleep.  I hope they have sweet memories from these Friday night sleepovers!  One day soon we will have the boys share a room again.  Our trial at that several months ago was short-lived because Luke wasn't getting enough sleep.  Beth is begging for Caeli to sleep in her room, and I've promised her that one day she can share a room with her sister if she wants.  I hope that they all become-and remain- the best of friends.

I miss blogging.  I miss tracking the daily little ins-and-outs of our lives, poor Jack and Caeli won't have nearly as much of their babyhood recorded as Beth and Luke did.  But they have nicer photos and big siblings to love on them!

Some days it's hard to believe we are a family of six now.  But most of the time, it's like Caeli was always here with us, and I can't even remember what life was like before.  Here I am, not pregnant... How quickly did that pregnancy fly by?  And she's 7 weeks old already?  Moving her head to the sound of my voice, watching big siblings play and sing and dance?  Every day I stare into her eyes and beg God to always let me remember her dark eyes and her smile that captivates me.  I can't turn away from her when she looks at me like that!  I can't wait to hear her laugh.

We have mostly good days.  Beth is bored because I haven't been able to get back into the groove of school yet.  That's been the hardest part of everything, but I keep telling myself we will get back into our groove and just work later into June than I had planned.  It's too hot to play outside during the summer anyways, right?  We still go to co-op, and made the decision to return again next year too.  It's SO much work for me but after some internal debate, I realized it's just a sacrifice I have to make for my kids.  They love it, and it's been so good for them.  Luke and Jack love their preschool class, and Beth loves (and excels) at all of her subjects.  It's nice for me to hear from her teachers that they're impressed by her reading skills or her knowledge of bible history, US geography, or American history.  Luke has recently started writing REALLY well.  I'm not sure when or how that happened... He was just ready, and it just happened.  I'm so glad I didn't push him when he was younger.  He loves to draw now, knights mostly, and he and Jack are such good friends... When they're not antagonizing each other.

I'm good right now.  I really wish I could find my groove but I know it will happen when it happens.  I am going to participate in the Restore workshop during Lent and I hope that I am able to refresh my spirit and renew my interest in our academics.  I don't know if I am "burned out" in the traditional sense because we haven't been working too hard lately, but I'm off track.  I have a stack of books I want to read too, though I think I might do a better job of getting them read if I ordered them on my new kindle fire.  I know... I said I wouldn't do it.  I love the feel of books in my hands, I said.  But really... It's awesome.  It's easy to read while I'm nursing Caeli and it's super-convenient when I am reading short reflections and want to switch back and forth between books.  And I've been letting Beth play a math game on there to improve her addition and subtraction skills, so I guess she's learning something these days!

And she wakes...


No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs