Thursday, October 24

Luke is FIVE

Dear Luke,

You Are FIVE.

Five years young.  I've had you in my arms for five years.  The days seem long but the years have been short; how can it be that my second-born is already FIVE?

I love you, guy.  You're a busy, crafty, inquisitive, and intelligent big kid- and I say big because you are almost the same size as your sister (you've been wearing the same shoe size for several months now!).  You love to play dress up- especially knights- and you use your Blue Knights sword and shield for daily dragon-slaying.  I love that because I am able to see your crafty little mind trying to figure out what to wear, how you can use your weapons, and plan an attack.  Your favorite activity though- STILL- is mowing with Daddy.  Your dreams came true this summer when Daddy got a ride-on lawn mower!  You rode with him every week when he mowed- you wanted to know how it worked (especially the engine and the blade), you were diligent about cleaning the yard first, and you always wanted to finish the job with weed whacking and blowing.  You helped Dad do that too- and you were quite upset on the days when Dad wasn't able to finish up.  Boy you'd get upset!  But you'd help him again another day, and all would be okay.

Your love of figuring out how things work is apparent in our every day activities- driving in the car, at the park or library, or at a store.  Figuring out how a cart turns its wheels, asking if a car has a blade like a lawn mower, how does the gas make the car go... 50 questions, every day.  You should really know just about everything I know by now, I think. :-)

 

You stay busy with your imagination- outdoor play on a beautiful day, sometimes for several hours.  You play with Beth or Jack, maybe a friend too, issuing orders to Jack or taking orders from Beth.  ;-)  Sometimes you and Jack play "farmer" with blocks, Little People, and toy tractors while Beth and I have school, or you play "Baby" and I think you're usually a Daddy.  You tell me now you want to be a worker man and a Daddy- I think you really look up to your own father, and I'm so happy he's such a good man for you to emulate!
birthday scooter

This school year you started preschool at co-op, once a week, and you LOVE it while you're there.  You are a good listener and a hard worker, asking and answering questions, and offering your two cents on everything.  I know because I'm there with you for part of the day, and I LOVE to watch you participate and learn.  You're a smart guy, and I haven't forced you to do too much schoolwork at home yet because you've preferred to play.  I can tell over the past month that you're showing some signs of readiness because your drawing has REALLY improved and you're starting to *want* to sit down and do some handwriting practice.  Of course you still love books, and I think you always will.  I will read to you and your siblings for an hour at a time and you all remain mesmerized, you have such a good attention span although of course you have lots of questions to ask during the stories!



Oh the questions!  So many questions.  I don't think your little mind stops thinking while you're awake, which must be why you still sleep so much and so well!

On your birthday we had, at your request, hamburgers and green beans, along with chocolate chip cookies!  Grandma and Grandpa joined us for dinner and presents!







 

Happy 5th Birthday, Big Dog (as Daddy calls you), and we pray God blesses you with many, many, many more!

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs