Thursday, February 9

Getting Messy

I'm on Pinterest.  I know it can be a time-sucker for some people, but I have to admit that it's really great for me!  I'm not addicted (yet) and I have gotten some really wonderful inspiration for home ideas, kid's activities, and recipes.  I've completed quite a few "pins," but my favorite part is when things are slow around here and the kids are begging for an activity I use Pinterest as my resource.

Last week, I mixed glue and shaving cream with food coloring.  They had SO much fun, though their hands were stained for a day! 




Another day, I put a lot of glue on big piece of paper and suggested they write letters/spell words with some beans.  They wound up smearing the glue everywhere, and getting the beans nice and sticky.  Then, Luke learned that when glue dries on your hands it gets sort of peely, and he didn't like that!


This day we brought out our aroma dough (GF play-doh). I found some pages that I could laminate and then use the mats to fill in the pieces that are missing (like a face without eyes, nose, or mouth- like in Beth's photo) and Beth really loved these mats.  Luke is still trying to perfect rolling his dough out into a snake!  And surprisingly, it only took one bite of aroma dough for Jack to realize he'd rather play with it than eat it!

I know people joke about their Pinterest addiction, but I just love it!  I know it will be of great help to me in the future too, especially as we embark on our home education journey this fall!

On a similar subject of messy activities, I was talking to a friend the other day about learning how to be a mom of boys.  We both had girls first and boys to follow, and we talked to each other about how it's just been so different!  Our boys are both drawn to the outdoors, mud and dirt (Luke actually calls it "the muck and mire"), swings and monkey bars, sticks, trash and gross things.  Beth likes those things too, don't get me wrong, but as a three-year-old she was perfectly content to sit inside and play dolls or color a page from her book.  "Sit" is not in Luke's vocabulary!  So my friend and I were talking about these differences, and how we're trying to change our ways of thinking.  One of my favorite books I've read about it is called Boys Will Be Boys, and it's about encouraging them and fostering their male-ness.  It's helped me understand how I can serve their natural needs better!  I'm also about to read How Do You Tuck in a Superhero, as I'm going to the author's day-long retreat in a couple of weeks, but I've heard this is more of a humor book about raising boys.  Maybe I can prepare myself for what's to come!  I'm trying to plan more hands-on messy activities, and trying to get them outside to play more, though it's been hard with all of the rain!  I'm also watching Luke interact with other boys, gently encouraging him to play fairly, use his words, but also to stand up for himself.  He's really growing up so much!

2 comments:

Neen said...

The first time I realized the real difference was when Duncan was about 13 months old, I had a newborn Molly of 3 months sitting in front of me, Maggie at 2 hugging me from behind. Duncan wanted some loving too so Maggie came around front to play with the baby. Duncan as a baby tackled me and pushed me to the ground. At first I was mad at him until I realized how he was being very loving while being so aggresive. I remember tickling him as I cuddled him and loving that moment of realization. This boy was very different that his sisters. That night when dad got home from work we started the nightly wrestle time. The boys just need to push and shove. The girls like it too but always back away sooner and in the end it is dad and the boys being a little too rough. Everyone is happy. I feel so blessed that God has sent me both to learn about and love on, and to be loved back by!

Bertie said...

I read Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional life of Boys and I liked it. It was a while ago that I read it, when I was doing counseling in a middle school. It is a totally secular book, but I there was anything that stuck out as being problematic. Anyhow, on my recommended reading list for parents of boys.

 
site design by designer blogs