Thursday, July 21

Around Our House

I have so many projects I want to do around my house, I feel like I'm getting antsy!  Maybe writing it down here will help me organize my thoughts, and maybe I can get some good ideas from y'all. :-)

We have our recessed lights and two pendants installed in our kitchen, they've been completed for a month or so now and it's so nice having light in the kitchen!  The next step won't come for awhile, since it's an expensive step- moving the plumbing, new countertops, new backsplash.  Like, probably not until next year.  Honestly it's probably a good thing that we have to wait because I still don't feel like I'm completely sure of what I want to do in my kitchen.  I haven't really defined my "style" yet, and I flip-flop between a Mediterranean feel and a contemporary country feel.  I think I'd be happy with either style, really, but of course I have to consider the flow of the rest of the house!


Here are a couple of pictures of styles I really like:

This is from the tv show "Modern Family."  I love their house, love love love.  I think it'd work really well for us too because we already have a lot of the colors incorporated in our house, especially in a big painting we have in our kitchen, which is what we were originally using for inspiration.  Blues, golds, crimson, and splashes of green.

But, then there's this:






Generally I like color.  I like a good, strong color on the wall, complimentary colors that pop, and I'm really leaning toward marble countertops in the kitchen and dark wood floors...  But my kitchen is not huge, and there's really not much rearranging of appliances that I can do.  I'm trying to figure out how to move my fridge over about 2.5 feet, making a little desk space in the corner and allowing me to actually open my freezer door all of the way (instead of hitting the wall).  I'd lose some valuable countertop space though, but I'd gain a much-needed workspace (right now my laptop has no home).  We can't fit a real built-in island but we could fit a free-standing workspace that was long and thin, I'd love to find an antique to refinish and repurpose for this use!

Another thing I'm antsy about is updating some of the pictures around our house and moving frames around over our staircase.  I know that doesn't seem like a huge project but I've been wanting to do this for months!  I ordered some pictures from Shutterfly last night so hopefully these new pictures will get the ball rolling on this project.

Our bedroom needs some work, we moved the furniture around a few months ago and still haven't hung anything up on the walls!  I keep thinking we'll get around to paining it (we've had a can of paint in the garage since we moved in!) but it just hasn't happened.  Then there's the carpet on our bathroom floor...

I know it sounds like I'm complaining but that's really not my intention!  I'm excited that we're in the home we plan to stay in for a looooong time, and that we're going to be able to tailor it to fit our needs and styles.  It's going to be a long process but I'm okay with that, and I'm going to soak it in and enjoy every step of the journey!  I miss doing our little "weekend projects" that we did most of last summer, but now that Jack's walking around I think (hope!) things might get a little easier with the kiddos so maybe we can start some work again.  I'm just the type of person that likes to stay busy (hmm, Dad, sound familiar?).

Our first project up is building a workbench for our garage!  This was my anniversary gift to Ryan, I picked an online plan for a workbench and went to Home Depot and bought everything we needed to build the workbench together.  This will be the foundation of all our other projects, hopefully. ;-)

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs